Discover the wonder of the Tarkine and Cradle Mountain National park on this incredible 7-day adventure.
As part of The Smith’s Tasmania Trek 2018, you will raise vital funds for our Learning for Life program. Learning for Life provides emotional, practical and financial support to help disadvantaged Australian children and young people with their education. Our support starts in the early years of learning development and continues through primary and secondary school. Our innovative, evidence-based approach is improving the attendance and attainment rates for disadvantaged children at school, and is enabling them to be engaged in higher education studies or work after leaving the program.
From your starting point at Launceston to Mount Donaldson beyond, you will experience all the mystery and majesty the region has to offer. You’ll cross the Tarkine coast, admiring the surroundings as you trek deep into the remote wilderness.
You’ll discover the unique habitats of this stunning region: vast forests of myrtle, leatherwood and sassafras that are a living link to Gondwana, as well as rugged mountains, wild rivers and spectacular coastlines.
You will cruise the Pieman River aboard the historic MV Arcadia and when we reach Cradle Mountain National Park, you will learn about Gustav Windorfer and his early efforts to conserve this pristine world heritage area. The national park is a hikers’ paradise, home to a brilliant array of ancient plants and wildlife including the famed Tassie devil, platypus and a variety of colourful birdlife. Cradle Mountain sits impressively nearby, surrounding us at every turn as we enjoy the last of the sunset before camping under the stars.
Best of all, with every step you take, you will be helping The Smith Family change the lives of disadvantaged Australian children.
The funds you raise in this challenge will go towards assisting our Learning for Life program.
• $576 provides financial assistance and dedicated educational support to a student for one year through the Learning for Life program
• $750 gives five students the opportunity to have reading books and be matched with a trained reading buddy for 18weeks who work with them to improve their reading skills
• $1,000 helps provide a family with a refurbished computer, Internet access, training and on-going technical support. Many disadvantaged families have no computer or Internet access so performing tasks that most of us take for granted, such as students doing homework, is almost impossible.
Dates: 19 November – 25 November 2018
Registration fee: $770 (non-refundable)
Fundraising target: $3,000 (excludes travel)
Travel quote: $3,399*, including taxes
Trip duration: 7 days
Challenge duration: 7 days
Accommodation: 3 star hotels and guesthouses
Minimum age: 18 (younger ages considered on application)
*Subject to change
1. Want to learn more? Enter your details in the form to instantly receive your information pack.
2. Ready to register? Click on the Register Now button to secure your spot on the team.
3. Questions? Give us a call on 1300 905 188.
Questions? Give us a call on 1300 905 188